The four largest e-commerce markets in the world will double in size over the next three years. Online sales in the United Kingdom, United States, Germany and China (France is good fifth) will increase by 400 billion euros between this year and 2018, yet the size of the bigodino online market to 800 billion euros ‚euros, according to research by OC & C Strategy Consultants, PayPal and Google.
British shoppers are already spending almost £ 1s worth every £ 5 of their purchases via the internet, and the new survey suggests that the online shopping revolution will continue.
Growth will be driven by the rise of smartphones – which is driving mobile shopping – and retailers who are investing more in their digital operations.
As you can see in the image above, global online sales growth will be around 15% annually for the next few years.
Let’s take a look at the main benefits of e-commerce for buyers:
- Cheaper prices: Because online sellers avoid a lot of expenses related to the premises, windows, parking, and sales staff of traditional stores, they can charge lower prices than those of the latter. It also saves the cost of travel to the store.
- More choice: online vendor depots, located far from shopping streets where furniture is very expensive, cost less. These sellers can therefore afford much larger deposits than traditional stores. It is therefore easy for them to offer a much wider choice than traditional stores.
- It saves time: no movement, no cap of Saturday, no painful search for parking, no queues at the checkout.
- One can better learn about the qualities of the desired product. The pages of the online sales sites present very detailed descriptions, corroborated by the opinions of other Internet users. In short, one can have more information about his purchases than in a traditional store.
The disadvantages for buyers:
- Sometimes it is necessary to see the product closely and touch it to realize its qualities and flaws. Impossible with online shopping.
- You risk fraud by paying with your credit card. We must learn how to use the means that banks provide to prevent fraud: for example the e-card, etc.
The benefits of e-commerce for sellers:
- They can gauge the behavior of the buyers and all those who visit the site: see what are the most sought after products, the most purchased, the rate of purchase per visit of each product, the opinions left by the buyers.
- They can better communicate with their customers, by answering their questions on the sites, and by reading their comments.
- They can track sales for each customer and each product, and keep all reports.
- They can do a very effective and inexpensive marketing using the information left by customers on the site to offer newsletter and special offers.
- They save on logistics, deposit costs, parking, store space, and even billing, since customers write their bills every time they buy.
The disadvantages of selling online for sellers
Some products are not suitable for sale online. I know the case of a good shopkeeper who sells a hundred different types of tea and coffee online. People were accustomed to buying these products in supermarkets, made orders too rare and for too small amounts to make the time necessary and to dedicate to expeditions.
In the field of webmerchandising, the online purchase is the conclusion of a commercial transaction operated via the Internet. Dematerialized purchases have been booming in recent years, thanks in particular to the implementation of reliable secure payment systems.
How does buying online?
To buy a product or service online, the user usually goes to online shops. Like a real store, this type of virtual shop displays and details each item sold. The consumer then only has to select the desired product to add it to his virtual shopping cart. Once all of its items selected, the customer can proceed to the payment of his order by opting for one of the payment methods authorized by the site: credit card, check, PayPal service, etc. He also selects the desired delivery methods (at home, at a post office, at a relay point, etc.).